Praise And Worship Bible Study
Definition of Love and Word Origin
Meaning for LOVE
- a profoundly tender, passionate affection for another person.
- a feeling of warm personal attachment or deep affection, as for a parent, child, or friend.
- sexual passion or desire.
- a person toward whom love is felt; beloved person; sweetheart.
- (used in direct address as a term of endearment, affection, or the like):
Would you like to see a movie, love?
- a love affair; an intensely amorous incident; amour.
- sexual intercourse; copulation.
- (initial capital letter) a personification of sexual affection, as Eros or Cupid.
- affectionate concern for the well-being of others:
the love of one’s neighbor.
- strong predilection, enthusiasm, or liking for anything:
her love of books.
- the object or thing so liked:
The theater was her great love.
- the benevolent affection of God for His creatures, or the reverent affection due from them to God.
- Chiefly Tennis. a score of zero; nothing.
- a word formerly used in communications to represent the letter L.
verb (used with object), loved, lov·ing.
- to have love or affection for:
All her pupils love her.
- to have a profoundly tender, passionate affection for (another person).
- to have a strong liking for; take great pleasure in:
to love music.
- to need or require; benefit greatly from:
Plants love sunlight.
- to embrace and kiss (someone), as a lover.
- to have sexual intercourse with.
verb (used without object), loved, lov·ing.
- to have love or affection for another person; be in love.
Origin before 900
Middle English from Old English lufu; cognate with Old Frisian luve, Old High German luba, Gothic lubo
Middle English lov(i)en from Old English lufian; cognate with Old Frisian luvia, Old High German lubon to love, Latin lubere (later libere) to be pleasing; akin to lief
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Subscribe to My Blog!
Take Time to Praise the Lord for His Love!
Heavenly Father God, We look to You for Hope! Thank You that You sent Love from Above (heaven) in the form of Your Son, Jesus Christ to Help us and Deliver us from our sins. Glory Hallelujah! Your love endures forever and ever. Without You, we wouldn’t know what true love feeling like, or sense it in our heart. What an awesome God we serve? We can truly believe in the love of God that was brought to us through the Holy One. Grace and peace be multiply in the knowledge of our Lord on this beautiful day. Praise You Lord!
Go Back To the Main LOVE Page »