Praise and Worship Bible Study
Definition of Faith and Word Origin
Meaning for Faith
1.confidence or trust in a person or thing.
2. belief that is not based on proof
3. belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion.
4. belief in anything, as a code of ethics, standards of merit, etc.
5. a system of religious belief. ie. the Christian faith; the Jewish faith.
6. the obligation of loyalty or fidelity to a person, promise, engagement, etc.
7. the observance of this obligation; fidelity to one’s promise, oath, allegiance, etc.:
Origin mid-13 century
from Old English. feith, fayth, fay; from Old French. feid, feit, fei, foi to fulfill one’s duty
from Latin. fides; akin to fidere to trust
from Greek. pistis firm persuasion; akin to peitho to persuade.
from Hebrew. usage of the word expressed full of faith emunah faithfulness; akin to aman to trust, to be certain
And faith is neither the submission of the reason, nor is it the acceptance, simply and absolutely upon testimony, of what reason cannot reach. Faith is: the being able to cleave to a power of goodness appealing to our higher and real self, not to our lower and apparent self. – Matthew Arnold, “Literature & Dogma,” 1873
Without faith it is impossible to please him [God]. – Hebrews 11:6
The faith of the gospel is that emotion of the mind which is called “trust” or “confidence” exercised toward the moral character of God, and particularly of the Savior. – Dr. T. Dwight.
Faith is an affectionate, practical confidence in the testimony of God. – J. Hawes.
Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1888 edition) is a public domain dictionary. This dictionary was published by G. & C. Merriam Company. Release to public in 1913.
Subscribe to My Blog!
Take Time to Praise the Lord!
Let’s Shout the Victory in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ; who is the Savior and Lord of all. We thank you Father God for sending us help in times of great need. Protection and Hope that our Hearts fail us not! Glory for your love, in which we appreciate. Praise the Lord.